Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Some Rain for Weary Children


Psalm 68:9—You, O God, sent a plentiful rain, whereby You confirmed Your inheritance, when it was weary.

           
            It is no secret that we get beat up along this journey walking with God.  As life becomes difficult and we fall into various trials weariness begins to set in.  Time and again we come to places where it becomes very tough to take another step.  Sometimes it even feels like our feet are stuck in the sand or that we are just spinning our wheels.  During these times it may even begin to feel like God is a million miles away.  The devil will come in and begin to tell you to quit, that God has abandoned you, that He doesn’t care, that you are wasting your time, and a thousand other lies.  You may even begin to ponder giving up.
            But let me tell you my brothers and sisters that we serve a God of perfect timing.  God knows just when to step in and show His face to let us know that He is still with us.  He knows just when to send a little rain on the desert wildernesses that we may be in at the time.  He will send that rain it says in Psalm 68:9 to “confirm His inheritance when it was weary.”  This word confirm means to make firm or more firm; add strength to; to settle or establish firmly.  God knows that His people get weary walking the path He has called them to.  He knows that we often come to the end of ourselves where, apart from His strength, it would be impossible for us to take another step.  God knows that discouragement and depression will try to pry their ways into our lives.  So He sends that rain at just the right time to lift us up and give us a shot of strength.  He lets us know that He is still with us and to keep pressing on and fighting the good fight of faith.
            The rain can come in many forms.  God may send you a word or give you a sign as only He can.  He may send someone to speak to you.  He may have your pastor preach a specific sermon that hits directly home to your situation.  You may hear a song on the radio.  Someone may bless you with money out of nowhere or you may get a check you were not expecting.  You may have one of your prayers answered. 


            God sent rain to me the other day to confirm to me that He was still with me.  I would like to share that story with all of you as it demonstrates Psalm 68:9.  I have been in a major battle for the last year and a half.  A few weeks ago, because I kept trusting in Him and didn’t abandon ship, God brought me a victory.  As soon as the battle was won, however, the enemy attacked and started about 3 or 4 other battles on different fronts.  To give you a better idea of what I’m talking about, picture me climbing a flight of stairs.  I was making steady but slow progress up that flight and then the devil hit me and knocked me back down to the bottom of the stairs.  I was very discouraged and, as the passage says, very weary.  It was hard for me to get back up and start back up that flight of stairs.  I couldn’t pray.  I couldn’t read my Word.  It was hard to function and the devil started coming in with his lies, trying to place temptation in front of me.  He was telling me to give up and that I was wasting my time.
            As I was going to work the other day I stopped at McDonald’s to buy my 4-year old son a cheeseburger on the way to dropping him off at my mother-in-law’s house.  I ordered a cheeseburger, paid for it, and drove up to the next window to pick it up.  When I got to the window the lady asked me if my order was a large tea and a Big Mac.  I told her that I only ordered a cheeseburger.  She looked confused and then told me to pull up to the parking lot and wait and that they would bring it to me in a few minutes.  I got all mad and irritated as I pulled up.  A few minutes later the worker brings me a bag and asks me if I ordered 4 cheeseburgers and 4 fries.  I replied that I only ordered a cheeseburger.  She told me that today was my lucky day and gave me the bag of 4 cheeseburgers and 4 fries and told me not to worry about it. 
            As I pulled away from the parking lot I felt God speak to me so clearly that I began to get choked up.  He told me the following: “I am still here my Son.  My favor is still upon your life.  I know it is difficult right know and I know that you just got knocked down, but I am with you.  I am not disappointed in you.  You have made so much progress these last 2 years.  Don’t throw it away.  You keep pressing on.  You keep fighting that good fight of faith.  You keep serving me no matter how difficult it gets. No matter how many times you get knocked down you get back up.  You don’t stay down.  You go face these battles in My power and in My strength and you watch me move.”  It totally lifted me up and immediately gave strength to my bones.  Proverbs 12:25 says, “Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, but a good word makes it glad.”  This good word from god sure made me glad.
            Some of you may wonder how I heard all of that from God by getting some free cheeseburgers and fries.  Let me tell you that God speaks to us all in different ways.  This was God’s way of sending rain upon my life to, as the definition of confirm says, to make more firm, add strength, and establish firmly.  God was confirming His inheritance to one of His weary sons by sending a little rain on his life.
            God does the same for all of His children.  Some of you may me weary along your journey right now.  Let me end by telling you that God sees your struggles.  Keep moving forward even if it is only one step at a time.  God knows how much you can handle and He will send you that rain to confirm His inheritance when it is weary.  God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment